The Dutch brand TomTom is one of the pioneers in navigation and traffic information systems. Widely used on the market, the TomTom GPS is indeed an essential accessory to assist you in your driving and your journeys. Discover now the advanced features of the products marketed by TomTom and learn how to easily update your systems.
TomTom GPS Overview
History of the brand
TomTom’s history began in 1991 with the creation of software for Pocket PCs. The first portable navigation assistant dedicated to the general public, TomTom Go, was then launched in 2004. The success is such that the brand’s devices were then used in 2007 in 16 countries by more than 200,000 customers. TomTom is today the European market leader for portable navigation systems.
The TomTom GPS range
TomTom offers a wide range of models to meet all needs. Discover without delay the different ranges designed to assist you in your daily driving.
- Car GPS
TomTom offers you fast and innovative products to relax while driving. Take advantage of connected GPS and receive real-time traffic information to secure all your trips.
- GPS Motorbike
The TomTom Rider collection is suitable for use on motorbikes. It allows you to fully customize the routes, by selecting, for example, the amplitude of the turns or the altitude difference. Experience a whole new experience on the road with connected TomTom devices.
- GPS Scooter
TomTom Vio is one of the brand’s latest innovations. Designed for scooters, it can be controlled from your smartphone. This is a second connected screen that helps you navigate more easily, while promoting your safety on two wheels.
- Campers’ Navigation
The Go Camper guides you through routes specially adapted to your vehicle’s size, to your destination. Enjoy the road and landscapes aboard your camper and let your TomTom GPS bring you to your destination.
- GPS for Large Vehicles
This range is aimed at buses, trucks and vans for personal and professional use. Large Vehicle GPS units allow you to plan your trip and take routes that are adapted to the size of your vehicle. Also discover along the way the selected points of interest for buses and trucks.
- Sport Collection
Finally, TomTom offers a Sport range to boost your performance. GPS watches give you the possibility to follow your evolution in real time thanks to the integrated GPS. Show your speed, your pace and the distance you have covered with the latest generation watches.
TomTom Road Trips
TomTom GPS’s Road Trips feature allows you to customize your driving experience. Enjoy a fully customized trip and discover incredible roads. Combine business with pleasure by planning your trips according to different criteria. Road Trips offers you not only historical trails but also remarkable coastal roads or the most beautiful mountain paths. Your journey begins as soon as you enter your vehicle!
The latest innovations
For an optimized driving experience, TomTom GPS units integrate advanced features:
- Live Services: Take the fastest route with TomTom Traffic and drive with confidence with radar alerts.
- Danger Alerts: Then enjoy safe driving thanks to the danger zones and risk zones indicated in real time by the community.
- Navigation Voice: Customize your TomTom GPS by choosing from an extensive voice library.
- TomTom Go App: Install the navigation application for your smartphone and enjoy all the latest TomTom GPS options on your mobile.
- TomTom Adventures: Discover the best trails around you and plan your next hike or run.
- TomTom Curfer: Download the application and then install the CURFER adapter in the passenger compartment. Improve your driving experience with real-time information and accurate vehicle data.
TomTom’s flagship GPS models
Now discover the iconic products among TomTom GPS and then make your choice according to your needs and budget.
- TomTom Smart 42 GPS: This model offers you the essential features of a navigation system. Ideal solution for small budgets, the Smart 42 comes with a lifetime mapping. It also indicates danger zones and assists you during outings or intersections with advanced guidance.
- TomTom Go 5200 GPS: This GPS combines all the latest innovative options for smooth driving. The Go 5200 system is indeed fast and connected, it even has an integrated SIM card to facilitate updates. TomTom Go connects to your phone via Bluetooth and allows you to take your hands-free calls or listen to your text messages, while staying focused on the road. From the MyDrive application, you can also plan and prepare your routes from your mobile phone.
The TomTom GPS Update Guide
Updating your TomTom GPS: what is it for?
Using a Tomtom GPS is a practical solution to move easily and quickly without wasting time. However, to get the most out of this technology, it is essential to have an up-to-date system. Road networks are constantly changing, and your maps can quickly become obsolete. Updates to your TomTom GPS allow you to have access to updated mapping, corresponding to changes in roads. Having an up-to-date GPS is also an opportunity to know exactly where the new radars are located and what the new speed limits are.
How to update the TomTom GPS?
TomTom offers new cards every quarter. To take advantage of this, it is necessary to install MyDrive Connect or TomTom Home software on your personal computer and then connect your GPS. To successfully update, follow these steps:
- 1. Connect to your computer to start your GPS;
- 2. Your software usually opens automatically. If necessary, click on the icon;
- 3. Check now for the latest updates available;
- 4. Then select the card to install or update.
Prices for TomTom GPS map updates
The TomTom map shop offers you different formulas to update your cartography. Prices vary depending on the selected areas and additional options. You can opt for:
- A single card downloads: you then get the latest version in effect;
- A one-year subscription to the update service: you benefit from the latest map and 4 updates;
- A one-and-a-half-year subscription to the update service: you receive the latest map and can update it up to 6 times.