Essential today, GPS (Global Positioning System) allows you to find your bearings quickly and easily under any circumstances. Over the years, this device has evolved to become a connected object . It is also suitable for use by car, motorcycle, hike or camper. If you want smooth navigation at any time, it’s important to have an updated GPS system and update your map regularly . Check out how this device works and update the GPS .
GPS, general presentation
Understanding the GPS system
Being equipped with a GPS system allows you to be located anywhere in the world. It can be an external device, a connected watch or an application on your smartphone. The GPS works thanks to the 30 satellites in orbit around the Earth which send signals received by the GPS chip. This constellation of satellites covers the entire globe. From the received signals, your device is then able to calculate your precise position.
It should be noted that GPS is an American system, open to the public, but which remains nevertheless a State property. To overcome this dependence, other systems have been developed. This is particularly the case for GLONASS, deployed in Russia. The European GALILEO project, for its part, should be implemented in 2019.
The different types of GPS
To travel with peace of mind, GPS navigation is available from many terminals. Thus, each user can choose a GPS adapted to his habits, his budget and his specific needs
- The mobile GPS
The first GPS devices on the market are the famous external boxes. The latter are nomads and accompany you on all your travels. A real revolution, this device replaces the traditional road maps. It turns out to be a shock assistant for all your travels. GPS now includes a multitude of alerts to help you better control your driving and anticipate traffic.
- The integrated or embedded GPS system
All car manufacturers now offer a GPS option. The driver can have permanent access to a GPS system integrated into the passenger compartment. If this solution allows you to enjoy quality equipment that is always operational and accessible, it should be noted that the price is higher than the mobile GPS. Especially since the necessary card updates are not always included in the purchase price!
- Smartphone applications
In recent years, GPS navigation has become accessible directly from the smartphone. There are a multitude of applications, the best known of which are Waze and Google Maps. Very reactive, fluid and above all free, these applications allow you to know the traffic in real time. They consider the different traffic hazards when choosing the route. To enjoy the cards even without a connection, they generally offer an offline mode.
The connected watch
In full expansion, the connected watch incorporates a GPS system, particularly popular with sportsmen. By bike, running or hiking, it provides valuable information. You can know the distance to be run, the path covered, the drop or the speed.
GPS, the different options
GPS does not only provide road maps. Today, it offers a plethora of options designed to make your daily journeys easier:
- Real-time traffic information: you can avoid traffic jams and be advised to take an alternative route in case of an accident.
- Vigilance alerts: This option allows you to be informed about speed limits, danger zones or disruptive events (e. g. vehicles travelling in the wrong direction)
- The integrated camera: It allows you to constantly film your driving and is an essential aid in the event of an accident.
- Places of interest: Depending on your location or destination, this system can offer you points of interest such as restaurants, car parks or petrol stations.
- Voice-activated navigation: To stay focused on the road, some GPS units can be controlled by your voice. For example, you can enter an address orally without having to manipulate the keyboard.
- Integrated Wi-Fi: The latest generation GPS device with integrated Wi-Fi allows a very simple and fast GPS update of the maps.
Regularly update the GPS navigation system
GPS update: why?
The GPS system is a very useful tool in everyday life, provided it is up to date! Indeed, the GPS update allows you to integrate the latest features and maps. It is also an opportunity to add major changes in limitations or new radars. The road network is constantly evolving and to ensure smooth navigation, it is essential to be able to update your GPS mapping.
How to perform the GPS update?
- Update a mobile GPS: Depending on the brand and model you choose, you can access free updates. This is very important to check when you buy because the new cards can quickly represent a significant budget. The new maps can be integrated by connecting the GPS to the computer or by connecting the device to Wi-Fi, when the device has the option.
- Updating an embedded GPS: GPS updating is often more expensive when it comes to manufacturers’ integrated GPS. Some offer this feature for free, but for the most part, the investment remains high. Software to update the mapping is available on each company’s website. When you purchase your vehicle, do not hesitate to negotiate to take advantage of the updates offered.
- Updating Smartphone applications: Updating the road network of your phone’s GPS applications is very simple and usually involves no cost. In fact, simply update the application via your store to take advantage of the new maps.
GPS Update, a precious help for all your manipulations
Updating your GPS can quickly become a puzzle when you don’t have the right information. GPS Update supports you in the steps required. Our site offers comprehensive guides for updating GPS systems of all brands. Discover sections entirely dedicated to updating GPS mapping and save time! To facilitate this step and to allow you to quickly find the appropriate manual, we offer updates classified by brand, vehicle or model. You will also find a section dedicated to the latest innovations: connected watches, smartphone applications…